Texas/Mexico Border Coalition
Developing Innovative Strategies
Consistent with its commitment to its guiding principles, the Texas/Mexico Border Coalition Community-Based Organization (TMBCCBO) has worked toward two long-range goals:
● develop and implement progressive policies responsive to rural needs, and
● develop the capacity of rural organizations and people to effectively work for, and sustain, institutional and systematic changes.
We join together as rural-interest members and organizations to improve rural and underserved communities.
to be an advocate for rural and underserved communities in achieving the American Dream.
to provide opportunities for changes that promote a healthy environment for people and natural resources in rural and underserved communities.
• to establish and maintain the health, social, and economic integrity; and the survival of small rural communities along the Texas-Mexico border by being an advocate for change while focusing on the plight of rural communities.
• to provide information, education, and training to address needs unique to the historically un-served and underserved, rural communities.
• to provide a voice at local, state, and national levels of government to bring equality to the communities in the 38-county Texas-Mexico border region.
• Justice and equal opportunity are the right of all people regardless of race, sex, or place of residence.
• All rural people are entitled to the goods and services essential to a decent quality of life, including education, health, employment service, housing, and basic community facilities. They are also entitled to a democratic, community process that is dedicated to serving their interests.
• The long-term viability of rural communities rest on effective control and use of resources by people living in rural areas, including farmers, local business people, and working people of all walks of life.
• Community-based organizations are instrumental in the development of rural communities. Public policy should encourage their growth and strength.
• The federal, state, and local government has the responsibility to ensure the rights of all citizens and help secure the fulfillment of all these rights.